Saturday, June 9, 2012

Sonos ~ the sweeeeeeeet sound of success!!

Now I'm not techno-genius, but I'm pretty proficient with setting up computers and wireless technology. We have wireless internet and a wireless printer hooked up at our house, and I have been wanting to set up some kind of wireless, Airplay music system for a while now. After a lot of research, I have come to the conclusion that the ideal system just doesn't exist yet, and that every wireless music system has some limitations, since this is a relatively new concept, so we took a little leap and bought an iHome iW2 about two weeks ago. I tried for hours to set this thing up and make it work, called tech support and had them walk me through the set up (which was pointless, as they just told me over and over 'No, the light should be green, not red and flashing' and I just replied 'I KNOW what it should be, but it's NOT'!!!), and finally gave up. I figured anything so difficult to set up would probably also be difficult to use. So I returned it and purchased the necessary components to set up the Sonos system in my house. Only to discover I needed a newer operating system on my computer in order to use the Sonos controller. Sooooo I ordered the system upgrade, backed up my files (in case the computer crashed during the upgrade), installed the upgrade (without incident - phew!), and set up Sonos. Which was a BREEZE - honestly, a child could do it. Well maybe not a child, but an adult capable of reading and following simple directions. It works like a dream, sounds so crisp and makes me feel clever since I was able to handle set up without calling in the geek squad. Seems easy to add other components too, so we'll have to figure out what else we need for the rest of the house! But for now, my little Sonos system doesn't just play music to my ears... It sounds like the sweet, sweet sound of SUCCESS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment