Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Mini apple pies




Happy Independence Day!! Just found this recipe online yesterday and since everyone else is bringing something blueberry-related, I saved my favorite blueberry crumb bars for another day and made these for 4th of July!

Recipe slightly adapted from Sweet Peony

Pie Crust
3 large apples, peeled & cored (I used 5 medium sized apples)
1/2 cup light brown sugar (I used a little less, as I don't like things overly sweet)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon corn starch (I skipped this)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
pinch of salt (I skipped this, by accident :P)



1. Cut out rounds of pastry and press into greased cupcake pan (or mini-cupcakes). Two pie crusts made 20 cupcake-sized pies for me.
2. Cut up apples into small pieces (so they have time to cook!).
3. In a large bowl, mix apple with sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
4. Slightly overfill mini pies (filling will shrink a little), and then top with lattice, or pastry shapes cut out with a cookie cutter (I used stars - wish I'd had a slightly bigger cookie cutter laying around, but they're packed up with my Christmas things! Next time though...).
5. Brush with an egg wash, and bake in 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes (depending on your oven - just keep an eye on them).


Yummy!! Mine could have used more filling and a bigger pastry star on top! I think they'd be really cute served warm with melon ball sized scoops of vanilla ice cream, but took the easy way out with whipped cream :)






No comments:

Post a Comment