Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Veggie-licious!





Zucchini Vegetables
Every now and then, I have one of those days where I realize that my alfalfa growning, quasi-vegetarian childhood has made a lasting impression on me. Yesterday was one of those days. I had a fridge full of veggies (my compulsion to buy beautiful looking veggies, even when I'm not sure of when or how I'll use them is probably another side effect) that were going to go to waste if I didn't use them quickly, so my veggie-loathing hubby and I had a yummy vegetarian dinner that he enthusiastically raved about the next day("She made these zucchini things taste like steak" - hahahahaha).
There were grilled portabello mushrooms, season with cumin, pepper and garlic salt, with leftover chimichurri sauce (which is SO good on anything!), a yummy salad of chopped cherry tomatoes, avocado, feta cheese crumbles and kalamata olives, and of course, the very popular zucchini cakes. It's a bit of a joke to call it a recipe, but here's how I made the zucchini cakes.
Preheat the oven to 425. Grate zucchinis (I used three medium sized ones) into a bowl, add a little salt and let it stand for a while (salt draws out some of the water, which can make these tasty little bites soggy, so the longer you can let it stand, the better). Drain excess liquid from grated zucchini, then add one egg and mix well with a fork. Add seasoning (I added salt, garlic salt, onion salt and pepper to taste), and mix well, then form flat heaps of the mixture on a greased cookie sheet. Bake until crispy, about 20 minutes. You may need to flip them over to brown the other side, or if you're impatient like me, you could just brown the other side in a little olive oil in a skillet (the same skillet you grilled the mushrooms in, for example :P). This made five good-sized zucchini cakes, which were eaten before I could snap a pic! Try them - they're veggie-licious!

No comments:

Post a Comment