Monday, October 15, 2012

Perspective...

Sometimes we all need a healthy dose of perspective, right? I know this is true for me. On Friday night, I was stuck in bumper to bumper crawling traffic (I have lived in LA for 10 years, believe me, if there's enough traffic to bother me, there is a SERIOUS problem), for more than an hour and a half, with a dinner party for more than 15 guests to host and no idea whether I'd even arrive before my guests. Why? Because of a road that was closed for the space shuttle. I was filled with a little rage, frustration, exhaustion, and completely overwhelmed. Mentally raging about my job (why must I work so late?!), every driver on the road beside me (why must they be on THIS road RIGHT now?!), the space shuttle (really, whose idea was it to move this thing on a FRIDAY evening during peak hour in LA?!?!?!!), the whole world really... And then I took a deep breath. A deeeeeeeeeep breath (job = a total blessing in this economy, other drivers have somewhere to be too! the space shuttle probably made some valuable contributions to our world, space technology, exploration, science (I sure hope it did, for all the trouble it caused!)... I am a lucky lady, with an amazing husband who let me rant a little, then did all of the jobs I would have been doing if I wasn't captive on the interstate, and when I arrived home, the candles were lit, the early bird guests had icy cold beverages in their hands, the birthday girl hadn't arrived yet, and I was reminded that sometimes, it's really, really important to take a breath and find some perspective.

Over the weekend, I came across this video, which made me laugh! I think it can give us all a healthy dose of perspective. And I'll be honest, given that it was over 90 degrees here today, and the weather forecast has temperatures soaring for the rest of the week, I'm gonna need some perspective! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment