Monday, March 19, 2012

DIY Velvet lamp shades

I woke up on Saturday morning to a spectacular squall! Gosh I love rainy days!! I really should live somewhere other than Southern California, where I could enjoy a few more rainy days a year! But anyway... I spent most of the day relaxing, lazing around the house, but by the afternoon I was ready for a craft project. I have been on the hunt for new lamp shades for our bedroom for a few months now, and bought same plain, off-white shades thinking I would get fancy and customize them :) I had some success a few months ago making my variation of this lamp shade for our living room:

Pinned Image

So I have been on the lookout for the perfect fabric for covering my bedroom lamp shades - I knew I wanted something elegant, and something cozy, like velvet, but nothing more specific than that. While I've been trying to decide on a fabric, I had noticed that the plain shades seemed to let a yellowish light through, which I didn't love, so I decided to spray paint them black, to block some of the light. Looking at my spray painted shades, I realized that while I would NEVER have guessed it, what I really wanted was black velvet lamp shades. Since we've recently moved into a much bigger space from a tiny apartment (where our bedroom was one of two rooms in the 'house'), we kind of have a blank canvas to work with, so I feel like these black lamp shades will help guide our other decorating choices, from art to pillows to paint(eventually, one day) and I love them. Here's how I did it:

I started by finding my trusty glue gun (the hardest part of this project actually!) and cutting a piece of fabric a little larger than the lamp shade. Then I glued the fabric around the outside of the shade, working quickly and burning myself once in the process :S


Then I flipped the shade over and glued the fabric under the top and bottom edges, and trimmed the excess fabric. To give a more finished look, I trimmed the shades with black grosgrain ribbon.

Here's the finished product (please excuse our mess):


I love them - and every time I bump my tiny little blister and it hurts like crazy, I remind myself of these lovely shades :)

2 comments:

  1. How are your lampshades doing now?
    I'm not as handy as you are, but I love that dark rich colour of that velvet lampshade!

    I'm saving up to order my own lampshades for over the dinner table. I want Black ones with gold or silver on the inside. I found them on www.thevelvetlab.com .

    cheers, Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - what a cool website!! I totally want to line my shades with silver or pretty patterned paper, but I've been been too busy lately. Also not sure if it'd be a fire hazard :P My shades are holding up great - although I've thought about making a removable velvet 'bubble skirt' style shade next - then they'd be washable! :D

    ReplyDelete