Monday, April 23, 2012

Gift card shopping spree


I have a tendency to hoard gift cards. I think it's because I feel responsible to spend the money on something specific, something special. I love receiving gift cards, and have even saved them over several years until I could afford a big ticket splurge that I might not be able to afford otherwise. But this weekend, I went on a gift card shopping spree - paid for breakfast, over $60 worth of merchandise from Bath & Body Works, a beautiful mirror for my bedroom (more on that later!) - basically spent an entire day shopping, without spending a penny. Ok, I spent a few pennies, but only by choice - I like to save my Visa gift cards for the spa or big ticket purchases, so I paid cash at one store! But it's funny how liberating it is to shop with abandon, giving no thought to whether or not an item is an affordable luxury, or an unnecessary expense. I think I'm much more likely to treat myself when I'm shopping with a gift card - so I'm glad I hoard them! It's a fun challenge, to spend a day without spending. Have you ever tried it?

No comments:

Post a Comment