Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Rooftop garden ~ an update


Well, since the sad story of the squashed tomatoes, my little rooftop garden has been expanded to include a pot of zucchini squash plants (for several summers I have hunted farmers markets in the area, trying to buy squash blossoms, which I have longed to stuff since I came across recipes like this, and since I haven't managed to find any, I decided to take matters into my own hands and grow them :P), which have recently flowered. The garlic seems almost ready to harvest (I had to look up how to know when to harvest them, since the only way I could think of was to dig them up!), and I'm planning to try planting and growing the next batch from cloves. The strawberries are growing nicely (I even harvested one juicy red one for the birthday boy last week - a birthday berry!), and the green beans are starting to look a little more lively as well. But the most fruitful crop so far has come from my two trusty tomato plants. I'd say we have about ten tomatoes, varying in size from cherry (or whatever is smaller than cherry :P) to ping pong ball, and this morning I harvested three more! Tomorrow night we'll eating the fruits of our little organic rooftop garden. I haven't decided if it'll be a caprese salad, as a sauce, or as part of an entree like this yummy recipe, but whatever's for dinner tomorrow night, my yummy tomatoes are on the menu!
And by the way, the Easter Bunny brought me a Home Depot gift card, so I'm hoping to get one of those dwarf lemon trees this weekend!! Seems like a good addition to our rooftop garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment