Friday, February 17, 2012

Apple crisp and other cozy treats...

Well the long weekend is minutes from starting for me (hooray!), and there's a crisp chill in the air (welcome back winter - and by winter I mean less than 75 degrees, but I'll take what I can get!), so I can't stop thinking about relaxing at home, spending time with friends and my wonderful hubby who is off for President's Day too (his old job made him work, so we feel like it's a bonus holiday!), and baking!! Something about chilly weather makes me want to cook! So I'm definitely planning to try my hand at making these delicious coconut white chocolate cupcakes! And maybe I'll finally use my poor neglected butternut squashes to make a yummy bowl of this soup. But I have to say, whenever the weather gets a bit wintery, I feel like eating apple crisp. And with a recipe this easy, I think I'll definitely have to make this! I love long weekends ~ having the time to do all the things I'm usually too busy to do!

Cinnamon Apple Crisp

Ingredients:
1 cup of golden brown sugar
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
3 1/2 lbs granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) chilled, unsalted butter, cut into pieces

Preheat oven to 450°F. Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in large bowl. Add apples and toss to coat. Transfer apple mixture to prepared dish. Combine flour, 1 cup sugar and butter in medium bowl. Blend ingredients until coarse meal forms (I use my fingers, you could use a pastry cutter/fork/food processor). Spread flour mixture evenly over apples. Bake crisp 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Bake crisp until apples are tender and topping is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment