Friday, February 10, 2012

Mad Hatter's Valentines Tea Party... The Plan



Well, last night I ran a bunch of errands and this morning I worked on my lollipop bouquets. They are pretty adorable - I will post a picture, just didn't have a chance to take one as I rushed out the door for work! I am SO excited to use my new three tiered cake stand ~ it was a Christmas gift and I have wanted one for so long! Here's the menu for tomorrow:

Tea Sandwiches - Chicken salad, ham and cheddar with dijon mustard, roasted turkey with cranberry thyme spread, and open face cucumber sandwiches
Mini quiches
Cream scones with strawberry jam, lemon curd and whipped cream
Brownie bites, lemon squares and some other tiny dessert
Bowl of fresh strawberries (or maybe chocolate dipped strawberries if I have time)

Not sure what the other tiny dessert will be. Maybe I'll make my mini cheesecakes, or else some little fruit tarts, like these:

Easy Fruit Tarts

Or if I run out of time, then maybe some mini cupcakes. I am serving icea tea and lemonade, in addition to hot tea, since I know not everyone is a fan :) Can't wait to post pics of the party tomorrow - I know it will be a lot of fun! Here's the recipe I'm using for the cream scones:

Cream Scones

2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, plus more for brushing the scones.

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and position a rack in the top third of the oven. Thoroughly combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of this mixture, add 1 1/4 cups of cream and stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with a fork. Work quickly, stirring as little as possible, until a soft, shaggy dough forms. Add more cream, a tablespoon at a time, if the dough seems too dry.
2. Use a large serving spoon or cup measure to drop the batter onto an ungreased baking sheet, allowing at least 2 inches between each scone. Brush the top of each with heavy cream and bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Makes 8 large scones.





No comments:

Post a Comment